Tips and Guidelines about Exports through Courier from India Under New Foreign Trade Policy 2023
India’s Foreign Trade Policy 2023 has brought several significant changes in the way exports are conducted from the country. One of the most important changes is the introduction of a new chapter for exports through couriers, which simplifies the process for small and medium-sized businesses. exports.
- Choose a Reliable Courier Service Provider: It is essential to choose a reliable courier service provider who can handle your shipments efficiently. Look for a service provider with a good track record of delivering shipments on time and with proper documentation.
- Check the Prohibited and Restricted Items List: Before exporting any item through courier, check the prohibited and restricted items list issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT). Export of certain items may require an export license or permission from relevant authorities. It is important to comply with all the regulations to avoid any legal issues.
- Get a Valid Export Declaration: To export goods through courier, the exporter needs to obtain a valid export declaration, which is generated by the electronic platform of the courier company. This declaration must be in the prescribed format and contain all the required details such as the value of the goods, country of origin, and destination.
- Obtain Necessary Certificates and Documents: Depending on the nature of the goods being exported, exporters may need to obtain various certificates and documents such as the Certificate of Origin, Commercial Invoice, and Packing List. It is important to ensure that all the required documents are in order and comply with the regulations of the destination country.
- Know the Customs Duty and Taxes: Exporters must be aware of the customs duty and taxes applicable in the destination country. The courier company will collect these charges from the importer on behalf of the exporter, and it is important to ensure that the correct charges are calculated and paid.
- Packaging and Labeling: Proper packaging and labeling of the goods are crucial to ensure that the goods reach the destination safely and without any damage. The packaging must be appropriate for the nature of the goods being exported, and the labeling must be clear and accurate.
- Tracking and Monitoring: Once the shipment is dispatched, it is essential to track and monitor the shipment to ensure that it reaches the destination on time. Most courier companies provide online tracking facilities, and it is advisable to make use of them.
Exports through couriers offer a convenient and simplified mode for small and medium-sized businesses to conduct their exports. However, it is essential to comply with all the regulations and guidelines to avoid any legal issues. By following the above tips and guidelines, exporters can ensure that their shipments are handled efficiently and reach their destination on time.